Amianto Explains Asbestos Surveys Types
Throughout the 20th century, asbestos was used extensively across the UK as a cheap insulating material. Typical usage included:
- Wiring insulation
- Brake pads
- Roofing materials
- Thermal insulation for homes
- Plaster filler and re-inforcement
- Asbestos cement
By the 1980s there was plenty of evidence to demonstrate the hazardous impact of asbestos on health. Inhalation of microscopic asbestos fibres was found to cause numerous chronic conditions, including lung cancer, mesothelioma, and fibrosis. The use of asbestos was finally banned in the UK in 1999.
The Legacy of Asbestos Use in the UK
Despite the ban, we are still very much living with the legacy of asbestos use in the UK. The symptoms of inhalation may not develop for decades and – unfortunately – one they are diagnosed, it’s often too late. The HSE reports thousands of asbestos related deaths each year, and expects this number to increase until the mid 2020s.
Asbestos Surveys Reduce the Risk of Harmful Inhalation
Any building constructed prior to 1999 may contain ACMs, or Asbestos Containing Materials. Since 2004, it has been a legal requirement for workplaces built prior to 2000, to keep an asbestos register. This documents any asbestos discovered on the premises, either with a photograph or a sample. If the asbestos is damaged, it will need to be removed by an HSE licensed asbestos removal company.
Asbestos Surveys Types
Amianto provides a range of asbestos surveys covering both domestic and commercial premises.
- Domestic Survey. This is not a legal requirement, but it’s often carried out by clients who are in the process of buying, or selling, property that was built prior to 2000. The domestic survey is non-intrusive, depending instead on a visual inspection of the property. Where Asbestos Containing Materials are discovered in a poor, or damaged state, samples may be sent off for detailed analysis.
- Commercial (Management) Survey. The management survey is a legal requirement where the commercial building was constructed prior to 2000. The survey is non-intrusive, and includes selective sampling. This occurs where ACMs are identified that cause costly management issues further down the line.
- Refurbishment & Demolition Surveys. Where major works, or demolition of a commercial building is planned, an R&D asbestos survey is required by law. This is an aggressive inspection of the premises which may incur damage to the fabric and decorative finish of the property. Extensive sampling is integral to this kind of survey.
What is Asbestos Sampling?
When asbestos surveyors discover potential ACM materials, they will normally take a sample for analysis at UKAS accredited laboratories. This is not an intrusive process, as small samples are extracted and sent off for further investigation. Reports on the materials are normally available quite quickly. We aim to deliver the analyses within a couple of days.
Amianto Provides Surveys and Asbestos Removals
We are an HSE licensed asbestos removal and management service. We work with accredited third parties to deliver our professional asbestos surveys. Should you need asbestos removed from your premises, we’ll do so promptly and with maximum health and safety safeguards in place. Amianto can be relied upon for accurate surveys, and the safe removal of asbestos from your premises
Looking for professional asbestos surveys and sampling in your area? Call Amianto today on 07890580507 / 01707707050